Sorry, I got sidetracked and completely forgot to show you what I made for the birthday party. I claimed it was sort of Nester meets whatever. Well, Nester introduced me to the idea of a rag garland like this one and Meg (whatever) is always inspiring me with all the colors of the rainbow.
So I made it for Addie's birthday party but I decided that I am going to hang on to it (seriously, who would throw it away after all those knots??) for other birthday parties. In fact, we already used it at my little brother's party (he turned 6 last week).
I tell you, I had little colorful strings all over me during that week of making it. It isn't hard at all but it takes...so...long!
Here is what I did...
- I went to JoAnn's and picked up 1 yard of each color...red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and pink. I chose about the cheapest fabric they had...but you don't have to.
- Then I cut little slits at one end to "begin" my tear and then I just tore long strips off the fabric. About 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick.
- Then I took those long strips and folded them once and then cut at the fold.
- For my rope I had a new, white clothesline lying around so I used it. If you use a clothesline don't cut it until after you have tied all of your fabric on...you might be cutting yourself short (or too long) if you do.
- Finally, begin to knot...and knot...and knot. I did two knots per piece.
Hope you are having a great weekend!
~ Anna Marie