12.23.2009

a fun way to display Christmas cards



This year I decided to do something a little more "fun" than just
taping my Christmas cards to a door frame, wall, window, etc.



For the string I used jute twine, but you could
always use ribbon or some other type of rope/string.

I bought some mini clothespins at Hobby Lobby
{under $2 for about 20}
The first half I painted with red craft paint but
it took forever to let it dry and it was a messier process
than I cared for. The next half I gave a quick spray with
Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Colonial Red
{in satin}
and it was dry within 10 minutes {bought at Menards}.


Then I sprayed the clothespins
with Elmer's Spray Adhesive

{can be found at Wal-Mart or your local craft store}.


Then I sprinkled on some white glitter, tapped the excess off and
sprayed with Patricia Nimocks Matte Clear Acrylic Sealer

{can also be found at Wal-Mart or a craft store}.

And voila, I had some cute, sparkly clothespins
to hang my Christmas cards with.


{Note: All of those sprays require that

you be in a well ventilated area.
I did mine in my garage and opened the garage
door a bit to allow some air flow.}

It seems like it is a long process but it really isn't.

In between, when they are drying you can get other
things done {like wrapping gifts or baking}.

I have also seen this done with an old window or a big mirror where

you hang the string across the front and then hang your cards up.
This year I didn't have a window or a big
mirror...so maybe next year at the new house.

This would also be neat to do in other fun

colors to use to hang your kids' artwork.


To recap what you'll need:
1.String, ribbon, jute twine

2. Mini clothespins

3. Spray paint or craft paint

4. Spray Adhesive

5. Glitter

6. Spray Acrylic Sealer

Have fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that idea! Mine always get piled on my piano, maybe I'll try that next year.